Editorial note: All Guest Post authors share their views and experiences, and do not represent Week of Saturdays.
We all have our best quotes.
They are short, punchy and help us get our act together when we are all over the place. They are also mostly old, and oh-so-concise, you know they are packed with wisdom.
As silly as our coping mechanism may sound, it has helped us get through some really hard things.
Better late than never, I call it perfect timing.
Kelechi’s Favourite Quote Ever
In your life and career, you need some good quotes to keep you going too! A collection of inspirational nuggets to keep you focused when your motivation runs low, or happy when you’re sad for no reason.
Print them out, post them on your desk, on your fridge, on your bathroom mirror or computer screen — anywhere or everywhere!
Here are a few of my favourites:
- “By trying often, the monkey learns to jump from the tree.” – Buganda Proverb
- “You learn how to cut down trees by cutting them down.” – Bateke Proverb
- “Let the beauty of what you love be what you do.” – Rumi
- “Will it be easy? Nope. Will it be worth it? Absolutely.” – Anonymous
- “A winner is a dreamer who never gives up.” – Nelson Mandela
- “At the bottom of patience, one finds heaven.” – West African Proverb
- “Pearls don’t lie on the seashore – if you want one, you must dive for it.” — African Proverb
- “The best preparation for tomorrow is to make sure today’s work is superbly done.” – African Proverb
- “Nobody can teach me who I am. You can describe parts of me, but who I am – and what I need – is something I have to find out myself.” – Chinua Achebe
- “Reading, like writing, is a creative act. If readers only bring a narrow range of themselves to the book, then they’ll only see their narrow range reflected in it.” – Ben Okri
- “Storytellers are a threat. They threaten all champions of control, they frighten usurpers of the right-to-freedom of the human spirit — in state, in church or mosque, in party congress, in the university or wherever.” – Chinua Achebe
- “The worst realities of our age are manufactured realities. It is, therefore, our task, as creative participants in the universe, to re-dream our world. The fact of possessing imagination means that everything can be re-dreamed. Each reality can have it.” – Ben Okri
- “I can shake off everything as I write; my sorrows disappear, my courage is reborn.” – Anne Frank
- It’s none of their business that you have to learn to write. Let them think you were born that way.” – Ernest Hemingway
- “Your writing voice is the deepest possible reflection of who you are. The job of your voice is not to seduce or flatter or make well-shaped sentences. In your voice, your readers should be able to hear the contents of your mind, your heart, your soul.” – Meg Rosoff
Have any favourite quotes? Share in the comments or via our Instagram community so we can all draw inspiration too!