Upwork, is a global freelancing platform where businesses, entrepreneurs and freelancers connect and collaborate remotely. In 2015, Elance-oDesk was rebranded as Upwork.
Presently, Upwork has over twelve million registered freelancers and five million registered clients on its platform. A total of 3 million jobs are posted yearly which is worth a total of $1 billion USD, thus making it the largest freelancer marketplace in the world.
Upwork allows businesses or individuals to interview, hire and work with freelancers and agencies through the Upwork platform. The platform includes a real-time chat feature which is meant to reduce the time spent finding and hiring freelancers.
With the dawn of ‘gig economy’ where a lot of people are leaving their full time jobs to pursue private businesses or just simply become freelance, many talented professionals are signing up on digital marketplaces like Upwork to advertise their skills and what value they have to offer.
I’m a freelance worker, how can Upwork help me?
As a freelancer, trying to find good paying projects can be tasking. Which is why Upwork can be the answer to the prayer of many freelancers, especially those from Africa. The Upwork platform provides a freelance from a third world country an avenue to see what global freelance charges obtain, and learn certain trends about the freelance industry.
The Upwork platform acts a middle man between freelancers and hiring businesses. Having access to an array of offers makes it easier to and a gig however each freelancer must outbid talented competition. The platform offers a timesheet application that tracks time and takes screenshots while the freelancer is working, which is awesome for project management.
- Upwork provides work for everyone irrespective to the skill and experience of an individual. A large array of categories help freelancers to choose the job according to their skills and expertise.
- You can just type your keywords describing your expertise, this will bring up search results of varieties of work in that category.
- You can view sent applications and track the performance.
- Freelancers can easily send and receive messages to client.
- The 20% commission + 2.75% processing fee + VAT + FX rates are crippling.
- Most Upwork recommended profiles and clients and projects don’t earn high ratings, they are bough. Recommendations aren’t necessarily earned ones.
- Your account and transactions may be blocked at any time, for no explainable reasons.
- There are so many fake profiles and projects on Upwork which makes freelancers weary.